Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Monday, Back to just being old(ER)
k9wrangler
post Jul 17 2017, 12:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 404

69, wow. Used to be a favorite number icon_smile_goodnevil.gif Now it's just a step from the next decade.

Saturday was a Mohawk day, passed by the airport in Kalamazoo and saw a retired Army OV-1, Mohawk. We then went on to Elkhart, IN and the New York Central Museum. I climbed up in the cab of the only NYC steamer around, #3001 a 4-8-2 Mohawk, and the Doll took pics of me. I've seen photos of guys my age running those giants. No hip and knee replacements in those days. Hell of a long distance between the 3 steps up. I have NYC smoke and cinders in my blood. When I was born my folks took me home to a place within 100-150 feet of the NYC mainline. Double track Detroit to Chicago with over a dozen scheduled passenger trains and countless freights. Still steam in, 1948 well into mid 50s. #3001 is on my layout but lettered for the Kentucky Southern. Lived at the place until November, long enough to imprint my mind with the sounds. Graduated to lightning bolts and Alco FAs by grade school, cigar bands by high school. Toss in the Aerotain for a six month stint in '57, I believe.

Maintenance day here, went and had an oil and filter change and wash of my truck then bought a headlight and windshield wipers and replaced them one I got home. I bought gas for $1.949 today. Speedway opened a new station and is undercutting the area stations. Posted $2.04 with $0.10 off with their 'speedy' card. Other area stations close by are matching the $2.04 but a mile down the road the prices are ~$2.40.

Well, the breeze here in the living room is inticing, but more to do.

Thanks again for the fine wished for my birthday. You guys are better than, in some respects, family. I appreciate all the friendship.

Carl, you surely remember the beer and burger joint on the point on US-23 and the turnoff to Wurtsmith in Oscoda. I used to love the D&M, Alcos and all. "Our"cottage was right on 23 just N town 3-4 miles.

Just handed a honey do. Guess I better.

--------------------
Be SAFE!!

Karl N. Scribner
Kentucky Southern Railway

Sunfield Township, Michigan
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dti406
post Jul 17 2017, 02:31 PM
Post #2

Yard Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 745

Good afternoon Karl and the rest of the forumers from hot and humid Northeast Ohio.
Temps in the 80's today with a lot of humidity.

Happy belated birdthday Karl, was out of town for the weekend with no computer
access until today. icon_smile_bday.gif icon_smile_firewks.gif I have you by about
6 months, will hit the big one in December.

No modeling over the weekend, but with a couple of 40' boxcars completed, may
get them painted in the next couple of days.

Battery, went out in the thermostat while we were gone, a little hot in the house
until I put in another pair of AA's.

See you all later!

--------------------
Regards
Rick

Rule 1: This is my railroad.
Rule 2: I make the rules.
Rule 3: Illuminating discussion of prototype history, equipment and operating practices is always welcome,but in the event of visitor-perceived anacronisms, detail descrepancies or operating errors, consult RULE 1!

+Quote Post
Trainchaser
post Jul 17 2017, 08:04 PM
Post #3

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 9

Evening from a hot and humid NW Florida. Rain induced cool spell only lasted a day, then the heat came back with a vengeance to reclaim all the free water. Weather guesser on TV said the water temp at the beach was 87 on the gulf side and 89 in the sound today. That is almost bath water temps.

Karl, I do remember the burger place you speak of. The food was great, staff was friendly and they was always busy. When the McDonalds openned everyone thought it would put a dent in their business, but I don't think it phased them one bit. My kids used to ride their bikes out the housing gate to watch the trains go by when they heard the horn sounding. They knew they had time to ride out because of how slow the trained moved in that area and they would hear them blow for the crossing om F41 and also for the road on the south side of the Au Sable River bridge. When a fuel delivery was coming in, a crew would drive up from Tawas to run S1 #646 out from its storage shed on base. They would run off base and wait on the delivery of the tank cars. During the summer, the kids would routinely take sodas down for both crews, so they got to know most of them. The switcher crew would tell them where to stay to keep everyone safe. Then when they would start their shove of the tank cars onto the base, the kids would ride as quick as they could so they could get to the one street in the housing area that the track cut across, before the train arrived. If you saw a string of kids on bikes hauling butt through the area, there was a good chance it was because of the tank car delivery. Fun times for them back then.

Hope everyone had a fine Railroad Forum Day!

--------------------
Carl Diedrich

[CarlD]

+Quote Post
WEUSANDCORR
post Jul 18 2017, 03:08 AM
Post #4

Les Staff

Group: Members
Member No.: 931

G'day all,
Weather was a very foggy start but came out beautiful 26C .
Fourby is primed ready for paint Thursday.
Thinkin seriously of coming over for Trainfest. I'm applying for passport tomorrow at least
Would like to do train to Rockford and back to Chi-town, Rochelle and maybe get the Museum of science and industry in.
Depends on when I arrive and leave I guess. About $106 a night for Trainfest deal.

--------------------
Cheers Les
WEUSANDCORR
Mountains to sea Rail Bulk Haulage

Les Staff Grafton NSW Australia

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2017 - 03:34 AM