Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Alternatives to CC/WB use, A Simpler OP system search
bkw
post Feb 6 2015, 12:34 PM
Post #21

Yard Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 212

I'm in the OpSig group anyway, so logged in and downloaded it from there.

But I got...

> Board Message
Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.
The error returned was:
Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available.

Even though I was logged in!

Bit heavy going in places, but then I suppose I'm a beginner for a lot of the info in it.

And yes, shipping is similar here to, especially for books, but then it seems to apply both ways. I've found that it's cheaper to ship to Oz and NZ than it is to the USA! Probably due to the Empire!

Brian

--------------------
CEO, Deadwood City Railroad.
Its MY railroad and I'll do what I want.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
WEUSANDCORR
post Feb 7 2015, 01:17 AM
Post #22

Les Staff

Member No.: 931

Brian, I bought a Grey Fergie tractor off Amanda jane on the evil bay $4 shipping to me in OZ same item out of their Aussie site was $9 shipping to me from Melbourne. Same item from stateside to me $50 on global shipping program. You pay domestic to Tennessee then international to OZ. I try to use people that do their own shipping direct to me or I ask first. Model train stuff has a habbit of being dearer if you pay by paypal as against credit card.
Thanks Karl

--------------------
Cheers Les
WEUSANDCORR
Mountains to sea Rail Bulk Haulage

Les Staff Grafton NSW Australia

+Quote Post
k9wrangler
post Feb 7 2015, 11:07 AM
Post #23

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 404

That International shipping on eBay is terrible. Right now the Doll is trying to ship 3 tintype photos to a customer in France. Each photo was an individual auction, eBay won't let her combine the shipping to him and says she has to use their Int'l shipping. He said it indicated near $50-60 (US) to use that process. Computing the shipping from here direct using the US Postal service, putting all 3 in one padded envelope, and sending it First Class to France was only $12 or so. She didn't intend for her auction to be international and is in a quandary trying to figure out how to handle it without being called for a fowl by the eBay refs. Of course the customer isn't real pleased either. Seller has to be sure how they have shipping entered into the original listing.

That said if anyone wanted something shipped using a 3 way here using that method might work. eBay's international deal seems to be set up to discourage anyone from using it. I've bought small items from China, leds, electronic components and super magnets that were less than $10 and had FREE shipping with China post using some cooperative agreement with the US Postal service as the USPS logo is printed on the label. Shipping is also often faster than sometimes things here in US.

Back to the OPS methods, I think the example we have all looked at now is too deep for the average player. I liked the car card system that I used at Ozanich's. I'd lean toward a version of that here. Still used train orders to run the trains. I still have a hard time relating the relatively short distance of even a fairly large layout to using train orders. Will just have to tinker with it all as things get farther along.

I may join the OPSIG group using their online download option, relatively reasonal price.

--------------------
Be SAFE!!

Karl N. Scribner
Kentucky Southern Railway

Sunfield Township, Michigan

+Quote Post
WEUSANDCORR
post Feb 8 2015, 08:50 PM
Post #24

Les Staff

Karl I just watched a video on Youtube from CNLVN [Chris Lyons in Canada] from about eighteen mths ago on ops there is afree I think down load for ops comes up in the Vid. I'm going back to get the Addy. It was based on that same book you listed for me . They have an abridged version of that down to about twenty rules or so.
cnlyon@sympatico.ca. Canadian Northern Railroad
Les

--------------------
Cheers Les
WEUSANDCORR

+Quote Post
WEUSANDCORR
post Feb 8 2015, 11:02 PM
Post #25

Les Staff

Draft train Rules for discussion,
Rule 5
The time shown in the timetable for a train at a station is the departure time. NO train shall depart in advance of the scheduled time.

Rule 71
A train is superior to another train by right, Class or direction.
Right is conferred by train order, Class and direction by time table.
Right by train order is superior to class or direction. Direction is superior only between trains of same class

Rule 72
Trains of first class are superior to those of second class, second class are superior to third class and so on . In this case Eastbound are superior to westbound when same class

Rule 73
Extra trains are inferior to regular scheduled trains

Rule 81
A main track must not be fouled or occupied with out authority AND it must not be fouled until, by , observation or protection by flag man,
the Engineer or the conductor is assured it is safe to do so.

Rule 82
Timetable schedules are in effect for twelve hous after their time at each station unless:- fulfilled, annulled or abolished by bulletin or general order

Rule 82a
Regular trains, unless otherwise provided, will be authorised at their initial stations by clearance

Rule 83
A train must not leave its initial station, or a Junction , or an intermediate station where schedules originate or terminate until it has been ascertained whether all superior trains due have arrived or departed

Rule 83a
the information called for by a train register must be entered and the register checked by the Conductor of any scheduled trains at all locations where a register is maintained. An extra train will register at a station
where it originates or terminates unless otherwise directed

Rule 85
Trains of one schedule may pass trains of another schedule if they are same class. Second, inferior trains and extra trains may pass and run ahead of second, inferior or extra trains.
A section may not pass and run ahead of another section of the same schedule.

Rule 86
Unless otherwise provided, an inferior train must be in the clear, at the time a superior train in the same direction is due to leave the next station to the rear of the inferior train

Rule 87
At a meeting point between trains , the inferior train must be in the clear and all turnouts lined behind 5 mins before a scheduled train. Where the timetable does not show a time for a superior train at the meeting point, the inferior train must clear the main no later than the departure time at the next station of the opposing superior train.

Rule 88
Extra trains will be created by a train order and governed by train orders with respect to opposing extra trains. At a meeting point between extras the train in the inferior direction must take the siding unless otherwise provided by train order.
in this case east is superior to west

Rule 93
Yard limits the main track may be used, clearing first class trains or protection provided as prescribed by rule 99 second and third class trains, extra trains and engines must move in tard limits at restricted speed

Rule 95
Two or more section may be run on the same schedule. Each direction has equal authority

Rule 99
A train occupying a main track with out authority must send flagmen in both directions to protect against overtaking and opposing trains

Rule 200
Train orders properly issued by the Despatcher and delivered to train crews take precedence over timetable

Rule 220
Train orders once in effect continue so untill fulfilled, superceded or annulled

Rule A
Train crews must have a current copy of the employee timetable in their possession.

Rule B
The Depatchers clock is the authoritive timepiece

Rule C
No train may leave its originating station without registering the train with the Despatcher and obtaining a valid clearance.
This clearance provided verbally by the Despatcher will also provide a check on the overdue arrival and departures of superior trains

Rule D
The Conductors of all scheduled trains passing through a given point that is determined by the railroad authority will sign the register at that site in accordance with rule 83a
The crews of all trains will check register to see if all superior trains have arrived or departed

Rule E
Train crews will register their train with despatch at the termination point of train

Rule F
Train crews will leave two min space minimum when following another train.

Les

--------------------
Cheers Les
WEUSANDCORR

+Quote Post
k9wrangler
post Feb 9 2015, 12:16 PM
Post #26

Those pretty well summarize the same rules I have, very close to the Condensed Code book as well as the 1956 New York Central rule book.

A couple clarifications from my understanding: (Both books open in front of me)

Rule 81: Term used is fouled OR OCCUPIED without authority, unless protected as prescribed by Rule 99

Rule 82: Timetable schedules are in effector for twelve hours after their time at each station unless: fulfilled, annulled or abolished by bulletin or general order.

Rule 93: Yard limits the main track may be used, clearing first class trains or protection provided as prescribed by Rule 99 Second and third class trains, extra trains and engines must move in yard limits at restricted speed.

I'll have to look at the link you gave from Chris Lyon. He follows Canadian practices and their Uniform Code of Operating Rules is also here on my desk and follows much the same information. I found this link to a video, maybe the one you mention. http://lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com/201...t-tutorial.html

When time allows I will check that out

--------------------
Be SAFE!!

Karl N. Scribner

+Quote Post
WEUSANDCORR
post Feb 9 2015, 05:50 PM
Post #27

Les Staff

I amended it Karl.
Les

--------------------
Cheers Les
WEUSANDCORR

+Quote Post
k9wrangler
post Feb 9 2015, 07:47 PM
Post #28

Interesting tutorial: http://virginian.mdodd.com/ttto-tutorial.html

--------------------
Be SAFE!!

Karl N. Scribner

+Quote Post
WEUSANDCORR
post Feb 21 2015, 11:56 PM
Post #29

Les Staff

Karl I found site with a free fast clock with 12/24 hr and an event list that you use to run your schedule of trains. You can save the time table and rerun it, add to or subtract from it . Will run on desk top ,laptop even some phones. Page is able to fill screen by pullin on the arrows
Fast clock/ event schedule
Seems like a good thing.
Les

--------------------
Cheers Les
WEUSANDCORR

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2017 - 08:12 PM