Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fusion360, Old dogs learning new tricks
cjbrock
post Sep 22 2017, 09:13 AM
Post #1

Yard Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 564

I'm starting this thread as a place to ask questions and share Fusion360 experiences as Karl and I fumble through it together. First guy to get something printed gets a gold star!

--------------------
John Brock
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cjbrock
post Sep 22 2017, 09:36 AM
Post #2

Yard Master

Karl drew something, and then thought he saved it but it wasn't there. I could start any of these off with 'there's a tutorial...' but sometimes it just helps to have some screens from somebody else to give you an idea where to start. One thing I got from one of the tutorials was every time you start to draw something, create a new component. I don't know yet if that is necessary for saving - ie the component is the container of your drawing, or if it is merely organizational, to allow you later to combine/move components in and out of subassemblies etc. Here's where you create the new component in the sketch area:

The other possibility is it got saved, but got saved somewhere mysterious. One way to figure that out would be to start another drawing and then hit the save button and see where it gives you options to save. You can see in this picture the first level is your 'project' and I have several. It looks like under the project there is a folder called 'master' that then contains your individual drawings. There are buttons for creating new projects and new folders. I know I need to learn more about how to structure things to allow for easier assembly later.

--------------------
John Brock

+Quote Post
cjbrock
post Sep 22 2017, 09:42 AM
Post #3

Yard Master

Here's a high-level view of how you get a JPG of what you drew so you can show it off. It's a two-step process. First you have to leave Sketch and go to Render, which converts the drawing to something with solid surfaces that looks like something real:

From Render you have to do a Capture Image, which converts the drawing into a jpg which you then save.

--------------------
John Brock

+Quote Post
cjbrock
post Sep 22 2017, 09:45 AM
Post #4

Yard Master

How do you print something? I haven't done this yet, but I know the first step is getting an STL file from your sketch, and there is a button for that:

--------------------
John Brock

+Quote Post
tankertoad70
post Sep 22 2017, 09:48 AM
Post #5

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12

Aaaaa, what's Fusion 360?? wacko.gif cowboy.gif

--------------------
Don in "Orygun" City
CEO, Prez, Sec, Treas, Chief Engineer/Dispatcher, Customer of the Wishram, Oregon and Western

+Quote Post
k9wrangler
post Sep 22 2017, 05:04 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 404

Don, Fusion 360 is a professional CAD program, Computer Aided Drawing, that is a full featured program that a hobbiest such as those gathered here can download and use for free. It is a stepping stone for eventually getting into 3D printing.

Jon, I found my drawing by clocking on the black 3x3 GRID shape on the left hand part of the top menu bar right above the box with "untitled" in it in your screen shots, a box opened that showed it and when I clicked on it, it appeared in my work window. I then was able to add to it in the small time I had available.

I'll get back and look at the print information, I meant desire to print on paper not 3D btw.

--------------------
Stand UP for AMERICA!!

Karl N. Scribner
Kentucky Southern Railway

Sunfield Township, Michigan

+Quote Post
k9wrangler
post Oct 3 2017, 05:54 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 404

A little time has gone along and I am managing to draw some things that actually have an appearance of what I intend. I've drawn an old gas pump for possibly modeling in the future and I just drew a representation of a small R/C servo like I am going to try to use for switch machines.

My next thing to try is to take that servo drawing and design a bracket to hold the servo in place on my layout. I need to learn how to draw an assembly that fits around the servo but is a separate entity. I also have to try the save to jpg process.

I have acquired a metric ruler, an adventure in itself, and a small inexpensive digital caliper. I used both in drawing the servo.

Venture on.

--------------------
Stand UP for AMERICA!!

Karl N. Scribner
Kentucky Southern Railway

Sunfield Township, Michigan

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 11:58 AM