Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Conrail, Detroit SAA, A website about the Sterling Secondary
IMhauler
post Apr 8 2009, 09:37 PM
Post #1

Master Moderator

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 600

A few days ago I came across a wonderful website. It gives a rather good description of Conrail in my vicinity and SE Michigan. Included is an explanation of how and why Conrail still indeed exists (so you can sound smart when someone claims otherwise), as well as some maps, and some cool photos (which are not mine and I did not ask permission to post these links - but they're on the web so...)

First Link Explains that Conrail exists in 3 places now, but focuses on the Detroit SAA. Includes regional maps, and track schematics.
http://knorek.com/RR/SAA/SAAIndex.htm

Second Link goes into detail about the Sterling Secondary which begins at North Yard (North of Detroit). When they mention "Mile Roads" a number of roads here are named like mile posts, so Ten Mile road is 10 miles North of Detroit. Simple huh? LOTS on info here, some is outdated like the fact that the local barely runs anymore, not 5 days a week. And The Ford Utica Trim plant has been under different ownership for almost a decade.
http://knorek.com/RR/SAA/NorthYardSter/Nor...erlingIndex.htm

Third Link consists of photos of the Utica Industrial, which runs from Sterling Yard (where I usually railfan) heading North about 5 miles. Some really neat stuff in here including deferred track, a lonely local that is followed, grade crossings, "locos running light," a bridge before-and-after replacement, and for you vintage automotive guys, a view of Packard (Motors) Yard.
http://knorek.com/RR/SAA/NorthYardSter/NYSImages.htm

Utica is about 4 miles West of me and I drive through it daily. What shocked me is I did not notice the author state that Sterling Yard also serves the Ford Axle plant which is immediately across the street. This Ford plant has produced the axles for all the rear wheel drive vehicles; F series, E series, and Mustangs back to the beginning. Kind of a bummer because years ago when I was about growing out of "spitting up" I remember a Christmas Season open house the plant had and I got an up close look at a Conrail GP that seemed the size of the Titanic to my diaper-laden self.

Ah well, enjoy. It's a good and informative read, plus some good line-side reference photos too.

--------------------
Saia
RRF resident whipper-snapper
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cjbrock
post Apr 9 2009, 06:20 PM
Post #2

Yard Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 564

That was very interesting Paul, thanks for posting it. I love industrial trackage and figuring out where it all goes. I wish someone would do a site as well for the Twin Cities. There are tracks and little yards all over town, and I don't get up there often enough to know what I'm looking at.

--------------------
John Brock

+Quote Post
Brakie
post Apr 10 2009, 08:04 AM
Post #3

Master Moderator

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

Paul,That was very interesting..

That could lead to some interesting modeling and switching layout design.

BTW..That is how I came up with my Columbus Belt & Terminal-a "paper" railroad own by CSX and NS idea but,now...Could it be feastable to use a MP15DC in CB&T paint?

Only time will tell.

--------------------
Larry
Engineman
Slate Creek Rail.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd February 2018 - 07:39 AM