> New Logging engine and layout
rhomeeyeball
post Dec 15 2012, 09:53 AM
Post #1

Engineer

Group: Members
Member No.: 5

Howdy

I am building a roundhouse Shay for use on a new logging layout. Following Jeff's book and Garrattfan's web page (gonna build a Garratt one day). So far everything is going fine. I have discarded the MDC gear box even with the NWSL gears it sounded like a coffee grinder. I have installed a NWSL transfer gearbox and now I think I'll be able to hear the sound decoder I have planned fo this Shay. I have already built the Echo Mountain Metal Cab and I will use the straight boiler I got from On Trac. Now I am waiting for the detail set I ordered from David Hoffman and the cast metal side frames from Echo Mountain, I already have the oil bunker from them. This shay will not be from a prototype as my logging and minning layout will be free lance. There was both coal mining and logging in my area so it will be my railroad.
I have two questions now: I have so many parts left over I am looking for another MDC shay kit. I don't do business with ebay anymore. Does anyone have one of these sitting around gathering dust you would part with for a reasonable price? Also I know where I can get a Keystone Shay. Has anyone built and installed the NWSL kit to power it? They look cool.
Thanks

--------------------
David
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Spikre
post Dec 17 2012, 03:02 PM
Post #2

Yard Master

Member No.: 556

David,
is that MDC Shay a 2 or 3 trucker ?
the 2 truck ones seemed OK,but the 3 truckers were another story.
as for the Keytone Shay Kit,realize that they were Meant as Static Display
units,not running locos.
have read an article on useing the Powering Kit way back about 1980,not sure
if it was in RMC or Prototype Modeler ?
the unit did run,but dont think it was a "Drop In" type conversion.
Good Luck with that project.
Spikre
mellow.gif huh.gif wink.gif

This post has been edited by Spikre: Dec 17 2012, 03:03 PM

--------------------
Spikre, the guy THAT HAD a smilie [pie] !!?
there goes EL's NY100!!!
wheres my hat????????

+Quote Post
rhomeeyeball
post Dec 17 2012, 05:39 PM
Post #3

Engineer

QUOTE (rhomeeyeball @ Dec 15 2012, 10:53 AM) *
Howdy

I am building a roundhouse Shay for use on a new logging layout. Following Jeff's book and Garrattfan's web page (gonna build a Garratt one day). So far everything is going fine. I have discarded the MDC gear box even with the NWSL gears it sounded like a coffee grinder. I have installed a NWSL transfer gearbox and now I think I'll be able to hear the sound decoder I have planned fo this Shay. I have already built the Echo Mountain Metal Cab and I will use the straight boiler I got from On Trac. Now I am waiting for the detail set I ordered from David Hoffman and the cast metal side frames from Echo Mountain, I already have the oil bunker from them. This shay will not be from a prototype as my logging and minning layout will be free lance. There was both coal mining and logging in my area so it will be my railroad.
I have two questions now: I have so many parts left over I am looking for another MDC shay kit. I don't do business with ebay anymore. Does anyone have one of these sitting around gathering dust you would part with for a reasonable price? Also I know where I can get a Keystone Shay. Has anyone built and installed the NWSL kit to power it? They look cool.
Thanks

Mine is a two truck Shay. I do realise that the Keystone was supposed to be a static model, but I like a challenge and NWSL used to make a power kit for it.

This post has been edited by rhomeeyeball: Dec 17 2012, 05:45 PM

--------------------
David

+Quote Post
dti406
post Dec 18 2012, 07:42 AM
Post #4

Yard Master

Member No.: 745

David, if you try to mate those two you are in for a real challenge and maybe a lot of disappointment. I had a friend of mine (the original MR. PLASTER) try to build one of those things. The major problem was the soft metal of the Keystone kit trying to mate up with the hard metal of the NWSL powering kit. He never got it fully functional, but he did get it to run.

--------------------
Regards
Rick

Rule 1: This is my railroad.
Rule 2: I make the rules.
Rule 3: Illuminating discussion of prototype history, equipment and operating practices is always welcome,but in the event of visitor-perceived anacronisms, detail descrepancies or operating errors, consult RULE 1!

+Quote Post
rhomeeyeball
post Dec 18 2012, 09:50 AM
Post #5

Engineer

QUOTE (dti406 @ Dec 18 2012, 08:42 AM) *
David, if you try to mate those two you are in for a real challenge and maybe a lot of disappointment. I had a friend of mine (the original MR. PLASTER) try to build one of those things. The major problem was the soft metal of the Keystone kit trying to mate up with the hard metal of the NWSL powering kit. He never got it fully functional, but he did get it to run.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I got to hold a keystone Shay recently and I can see what you are talking about. Wish there was another choice for a small Shay, but I have enough stuff sitting around here without buying more.

Thanks again

--------------------
David

+Quote Post
rhomeeyeball
post Dec 21 2012, 06:26 PM
Post #6

Engineer

I recieved the metal sideframes for my Shay today from Echo Mountain. I can finish the frame and running gear now. Still waiting on the detail set from David Hoffman. Now we get to see how the running gear will work out.

later

This post has been edited by rhomeeyeball: Dec 21 2012, 06:27 PM

--------------------
David

+Quote Post
rhpd42002
post Dec 22 2012, 02:58 PM
Post #7

Yard Master

Member No.: 750

David, You seem to have quite an undertaking at hand. Keep us posted on how it goes. It sure sounds like an interesting and challenging project.

--------------------
Mike :icon_smile_cop:
[BN1] :CBQ1: [GN1] :NP_logo1:
Ya ain't gotta like it, ya just gotta do it!

+Quote Post
rhomeeyeball
post Dec 31 2012, 11:45 PM
Post #8

Engineer

Well I got all the parts I need now after I recieved the parts from D. Hoffman. I will take picftures as I go along. I have almost enugh stuff for two shays. All I need is the frame, trucks and piston assembly and I could build a second one. If I cannot find another one after I get through with the first one I will order the parts to build the second one from David Hoffman.

--------------------
David

+Quote Post
k9wrangler
post Dec 27 2013, 07:10 AM
Post #9

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 404

We need an update here!

--------------------
Stand UP for AMERICA!!

Karl N. Scribner
Kentucky Southern Railway

Sunfield Township, Michigan

+Quote Post
rhpd42002
post Feb 15 2014, 07:30 AM
Post #10

Yard Master

Member No.: 750

As I've been absent, I've missed a good bit, but I'll have to 2nd Karl's "Motion"!! wink.gif

--------------------
Mike :icon_smile_cop:
[BN1] :CBQ1: [GN1] :NP_logo1:
Ya ain't gotta like it, ya just gotta do it!

+Quote Post
k9wrangler
post Apr 8 2017, 06:54 PM
Post #11

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 404

4 and a half years...... mellow.gif Miss all the guys that don't run by here any more.

--------------------
Stand UP for AMERICA!!

Karl N. Scribner
Kentucky Southern Railway

Sunfield Township, Michigan

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 11:53 AM