> January - New Years Photos!
dti406
post Jan 8 2018, 11:17 AM
Post #1

Yard Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 745

Only managed to get one car done this week:

Athearn 50' PC&F RBL with 10'-6" Door, painted with Scalecoat II Hunter Green and Floquil SP Dark Lark Gray. In the mid 60's the SP was having trouble getting its cars back to haul wood products out of Oregon and Washington so with their bank they created Evergreen Freight Car as private owner cars were routed by different rules and payment requirements than railroad owned cars. Evergreen eventually had over 3,000 cars. This arrangment lasted until 1978-79 when the cars were absorbed into the SP under class B70-38.

Since I only got one car done this week, thought I would show some of the stuff on my workbench.

Kadee 40' PS1 Boxcar, painted the first color and masked for the next color to be applied.

Atlas 3560 CF Covered Hopper Kit, removed the reinforcing rib on the top of the car as the ICG cars did not have this rib, removed the cast on roofwalk and am in the process of placing the supports for a Plano Roofwalk. Also will need to add airlines where needed.

This ECW ACF kit, is being modified to more closely represent a Bethlehem Steel manufactured car as denoted by the white sheet metal parts that were present on a Bethlehem Steel car and the longitudinal opening hatches. Will need to add airlines and other parts.

Thanks for looking!

--------------------
Regards
Rick

Rule 1: This is my railroad.
Rule 2: I make the rules.
Rule 3: Illuminating discussion of prototype history, equipment and operating practices is always welcome,but in the event of visitor-perceived anacronisms, detail descrepancies or operating errors, consult RULE 1!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dti406
post Jan 12 2018, 09:15 AM
Post #2

Yard Master

I managed to finish a couple of cars this week!

Kadee 50' PS1 Boxcar with Slding H60 Frame, painted with Scalecoat II Reefer Orange and Black Paints, then lettered with Mask Island Decals. Car was built in 1962 and specially equipped for hauling steel products from the mills around Chicago.

Tangent PRR X58 Boxcar, painted with Scalecoat II PRR Freightcar Red Paint and lettered with Herald King Decals. Car built in 1964 and was an insulated car used in general service.

Thanks for looking!

--------------------
Regards
Rick

Rule 3: Illuminating discussion of prototype history, equipment and operating practices is always welcome,but in the event of visitor-perceived anacronisms, detail descrepancies or operating errors, consult RULE 1!

+Quote Post
dti406
post Jan 19 2018, 09:13 AM
Post #3

Yard Master

This is part of what I accomplished this week, a lot of partially finished items are sitting on the workbench.

Intermountain Plywood sided boxcar kit, painted with Scalecoat II Reefer Orange, Black and Pullman Green. Lettered with Champ Decals. These cars were built in 1944, and were made of plywood to keep the usage of steel down during WWII. This is the as delivered paint scheme, they were later painted in the mineral red and vermillion red paint schemes.

Atlas 3560CF ACF Covered Hopper kit, removed the cast on Roofwalk and Walkover Platform and replaced them with the Plano Replacements. Painted the car with Scalecoat II MofW Gray and lettered the car with Dan Kohlberg's ICG Decals. Car was built in 1972 and was mostly used in hauling heavier density material like roofing granuals as the larger covered hoppers would tare out before they were fully filled.

Thanks for looking!

--------------------
Regards
Rick

+Quote Post
k9wrangler
post Jan 19 2018, 01:31 PM
Post #4

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 404

Nice cars. Did those plywood cars still have steel inner framing?

--------------------
Stand UP for AMERICA!!

Karl N. Scribner
Kentucky Southern Railway

Sunfield Township, Michigan

+Quote Post
cjbrock
post Jan 20 2018, 09:09 AM
Post #5

Yard Master

Member No.: 564

QUOTE (k9wrangler @ Jan 19 2018, 08:31 PM) *
Nice cars. Did those plywood cars still have steel inner framing?

Yes, just the outer sheet steel was replaced with plywood.

Enjoyed the photos Rick.

--------------------
John Brock

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2018 - 03:08 PM