Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dog Days of August!
dti406
post Aug 4 2017, 10:23 AM
Post #1

Yard Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 745

Managed to get a couple of cars done this week.

Walther's Express Reefer kit, added all the grabs, painted with Scalecoat II Pullman Green and Black Paints, then lettered with Champ Decals. To be used on mail and express passenger trains. Car built in the 40's and 50's.

Kadee just announced this car as coming later this year, but as I already had the decal I jumped in ahead of them. Kadee 50' PS1 Cushion Underframe kit, painted with Scalecoat II Black Paint and lettered with Herald King Decals. Car built in 1966 and repainted in the merger scheme in 1972.

Thanks for looking!

--------------------
Regards
Rick

Rule 1: This is my railroad.
Rule 2: I make the rules.
Rule 3: Illuminating discussion of prototype history, equipment and operating practices is always welcome,but in the event of visitor-perceived anacronisms, detail descrepancies or operating errors, consult RULE 1!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Trainchaser
post Aug 4 2017, 11:28 AM
Post #2

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 9

Fine work Rick. I remember seeing the real SCL cars like yours passing by Keesler AFB during my time there in 1973. Most of them still looked freshly painted and relatively clean.

--------------------
Carl Diedrich

[CarlD]

+Quote Post
dti406
post Aug 11 2017, 07:21 AM
Post #3

Yard Master

Intermountain 40' PS1 Boxcar Kit painted with Scalecoat II Boxcar Red and lettered with Champ Decals. As delivered scheme from 1956 when the Annie was under control of the Wabash. AA Pennant similar to the Wabash Flag, the AA was conveyed to the DT&I as part of the N&W/NKP/Wabash Merger.

Kadee Undecorated 50' PS1 Boxcar, painted with Scalecoat II Boxcar Red and lettered with Herald King decals, car was acquired in 1962 and this is a 1972 repaint.

Thanks for looking!

--------------------
Regards
Rick

Rule 3: Illuminating discussion of prototype history, equipment and operating practices is always welcome,but in the event of visitor-perceived anacronisms, detail descrepancies or operating errors, consult RULE 1!

+Quote Post
WEUSANDCORR
post Aug 11 2017, 06:20 PM
Post #4

Les Staff

Member No.: 931

Some more nice work. Liking the DTI icon_smile_spinning.gif

--------------------
Cheers Les
WEUSANDCORR
Mountains to sea Rail Bulk Haulage

Les Staff Grafton NSW Australia

+Quote Post
dti406
post Aug 18 2017, 05:01 AM
Post #5

Yard Master

I have completed some cars showing the progression of the paint schemes and one special paint scheme!

Intermountain 1937 AAR Mod Boxcar kit, which is equivalent to the Burlington's XM-32 Class Boxcars, substituted Yarmouth Models Sill Steps for the kit supplied plastic steps. Painted the car with Scalecoat II Boxcar Red and lettered with Microscale Decals. This car was delivered in 1953 and painted in the standard scheme of that time. Everywhere West was on one side of the car and Way of the Zephyrs was on the other side.

The same kit, but painted with Scalecoat II Chinese Red and lettered with Microscale Decals. These cars were painted in this scheme from 1958 to mid 1968. Car was originally built in 1945. Same flip flop on the slogans also. This car was numbered in the group for the Q's subsidiary Fort Worth and Denver.

Same kit again, but this time painted with Floquil Gold Paint and lettered with Microscale Decals. Car built in 1950 and this special paint scheme was applied in December of 1966, one of eight cars rebuilt by the Q's Havelock Shops in one day and all were painted gold. This commemorates winning the Railway Progress Institute's Golden Freight Car award for 1966. The award was for the most effective promotion of railroad freight traffic in America.

Thanks for looking!

--------------------
Regards
Rick

+Quote Post
tankertoad70
post Aug 18 2017, 06:21 PM
Post #6

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12

Well, here is a shot of one project I completed for a customer afore my camera got dropped. It is a Roco GP7 decorated for FW&D. The road never had a GP7 except after the BN merger when they received about 5 former GN models. The customer wanted the puppy so decorated however. The single "hooter" came from Miniatures by Eric. I used Trucolor's paint which I have really grown to like. It lasts a long time and is easily thinned using acetone. Decals are MS and the finish coat a 50/50 mix of Dullcoat and Glosscoat.

Fun l'il project. cowboy.gif

--------------------
Don in "Orygun" City
CEO, Prez, Sec, Treas, Chief Engineer/Dispatcher, Customer of the Wishram, Oregon and Western

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2017 - 01:15 AM