Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Repowering older Athearn Locomotives
Warren
post Mar 12 2003, 12:09 PM
Post #1

New Hire

Group: Members
Member No.: 185

I want to repower several older Athearn engines and I'm wondering what your collective advice would be. I am doing this because most are custom painted and nicely detailed units that simply don't run as well as I would like them too, especailly compared with my Atlas and Kato units.

The goal of this repowering project will be to make them run quietly, smoothly at low speeds, and match speeds well with the aformentioned Atlas and Kato units for larger consists. Right now, I simply run Athearn units with other similar Athearn units to avoid the coupler binding and wheel slipping cause by speed variation at a given power setting.

I'm open to your suggestions on what products I should use (who's can motor, etc.), exactly how much of the power train I should replace (just the motor and mount, the drive lines, the truck sets, etc.), and whos product I should go with.

I would like the keep the cost of repowering down as much as possible as I have many units to do.

Thanks in advance.

Warren.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tankertoad70
post Mar 12 2003, 01:32 PM
Post #2

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12

Have you considered using the newer version of the Athearn motors? I am able to run my latest Athearn SD40-2 with my Kato unit without any difficulty. The newer Athearn motors generally run about 1/2 the price of the more expensive can motors from companies such as NWSL and Canon.biggrin.gif

--------------------
Don in "Orygun" City
CEO, Prez, Sec, Treas, Chief Engineer/Dispatcher, Customer of the Wishram, Oregon and Western

+Quote Post
Warren
post Mar 12 2003, 02:33 PM
Post #3

New Hire

Member No.: 185

To tell you the truth, I hadn't even considered it. After your post, I decided to do some quick research and the new Hi-performance Athearn engine has recieved very good reviews, and Athearn's site lists them for $25. I'll see if my local hobby shop has them for less. I think I will try one out and post my results later. Thanks for the advice.

Warren

+Quote Post
rhomeeyeball
post Mar 12 2003, 06:01 PM
Post #4

Engineer

Member No.: 5

I have NWSL or A-Line (Mashima) motors in mine. I put Accurate Lighting motors in my Proto GP 18s.( first ones-low nose )
If you put either of the first two on top of an A-Line cradle weight it will make a BIG difference in pulling power. Plus they are drop in replacements with everything needed. I kind of prefer NWSL, but they are all good.
Now before the blue box people gang up on me, I have nothing against the new heavy duty Athearn motors. I want all my locos to be quiet and have wires coming off the motors for easy DCC installation.
Bye Now

--------------------
David

+Quote Post
bentnosewillie
post Mar 13 2003, 04:05 AM
Post #5

Official Member

Member No.: 41

I recently repowered a GP50 with a NWSL single-flywheel motor and unversals, and replaced the wheels with NWSL 40" nickel-silver wheels. It took some milling of the frame to get the motor shaft lined up with the worm shafts, and I had to shave a smidgen off the inside of the shell to clear the motor casing so that vibration wouldn't transmit to the shell. The results were well worth it - it runs beautifully now, though I haven't yet tried MU'ing it with anything else.

All this being said, the new Athearn motor would certainly be easier to install - I'd start by having a look at that, then go to the NWSL repower kit if the Athearn parts aren't the answer.

--------------------
B-Dubya out -
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inside every GE is an Alco trying to get out...apparently, through the exhaust stack!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 04:39 PM