Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hankscraft Switch Motor Mounting
chapmon
post Apr 15 2004, 02:40 AM
Post #1

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 233

Using your collective experience, I'm looking for a solution to a problem:

I am constructing a layout with the basis of box-girder benchwork, 1/4" plywood, and a 1" layer of foam. That will be 0 elevation. Working from there, I can cut holes where I need for the Hankscraft S/Machines, but has anyone discovered an efficient way of hooking up the vertical throw rod with a Peco throwbar? I'm using all Peco Code 83, with some Peco Code 75 in lighter industrial areas. Up close to the edge turnouts will be hand throws. Since some of this trackage will be in the street, I want the ability to power hard to reach turnouts with the switch motors, and later with Tortoise Switch Motors.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Chapmon

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mosslake
post Apr 15 2004, 05:50 AM
Post #2

Yard Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

Mike, I use Peco #75 as well as some Shinohara #70 switches. I use a push/pull wire similar to the Model Railroader Roaque Bluffs project layout. The local hobby shop has longer lengths of brass wire and tubing so I use a 1mm brass wire in a brass tube that's a 1mm bore. I use a DPDT slide switch with a hole drilled through the plastic actuator to fit the wire. I use an old soldering iron to make a trough for the tube from the throwbar to the layout edge where the switch is mounted. I solder a wire to the frog and glue it and the tube in the foam with a water based liquid nails. The wire is soldered to the centre contact on the slide switch and the two polarities go to either side contact. This handles the frog polarity switching. You could use this to hook up the switch motor but another way I've done it in the past is to drill a hole directly below the throwbar hole and use a wire that's a tight fit in the throwbar to connect it to the switchmotor beneath the layout.

--------------------
Russ
Moss Lake Lumber Co.
&
Southern Pacific,
Moss Lake branch

+Quote Post
mosslake
post Apr 16 2004, 05:44 AM
Post #3

Yard Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

Just found these Hankscraft motors and the old Switchmaster motors are one and the same. Mike, check out this link, scroll down the sidebar till you see slow motion motors. There's some tips on using these Hankscraft motors using a Rix mounting bracket that'll drive the centre hole of a Peco switch easily.
http://www.wiringfordcc.com/sw_ctl.htm

--------------------
Russ
Moss Lake Lumber Co.
&
Southern Pacific,
Moss Lake branch

+Quote Post
chapmon
post Apr 17 2004, 05:18 PM
Post #4

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 233

Russ:

Thanks for the lead. I'll check it out.

Chapmon

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2014 - 06:35 AM