Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fallen Flags - Arizona
tomfassett
post Dec 11 2002, 11:17 AM
Post #1

Yard Master

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 8

I thought I'd start a fallen flags list by state. As I live in Arizona, I'll pick this state. This list will be a "work in progress" as I do more research.

Arizona & Colorado Railroad
Ran from Cochise to Black Knob. Mining railroad. Later SP. Abandoned.
Arizona & Southeastern
Ran from Benson to Bisbee. Later became part of the SP South Line. Most parts of original alignment abandoned.
Arizona & Swansea Railroad
Ran from Bouse to Swansea. Abandoned.
Arizona & Utah Railroad
Ran from McConnico to the mines at Chloride. Later became part of the ATSF.
Arizona Central Railroad.
Ran from Drake to Clarkdale. Later ATSF. Now Verde Canyon Railway.
Arizona Commercial Copper Company
Ran from Dominion to Amster. Mining railroad. Abandoned.
Arizona Eastern Railroad
Originally built the SP (now UP) line through Phoenix.
Arizona Extension Railroad
Ran from Cottonwood the the UVE Mine. Abandoned.
Arizona Narrow Gauge Railroad
Ran from North Tucson (ANG Depot) to Magee. Abandoned.
Arizona Southern Railroad
Ran from Red Rock to Silver Bell Mine. Abandoned.
Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe
Main Line ran across the Northern part of the state from Lupton (just over the New Mexico border) to Topock (just over the California border). Peavine sub ran from Ash Fork to Phoenix. Parker sub ran from Wickenburg to Parker (now Arizona & California RR-RailAmerica). Also from Drake to Clarkdale (now Verde Valley RR), and from Prescott to Blue Bell (now abandoned), and the Grand Canyon sub from Williams to Grand Canyon (now the Grand Canyon tourist railroad). The mainline and the Peavine sub are now part of BNSF.
Atlantic & Pacific
Originally built the ATSF (now BNSF) line through Northern Arizona.
Central Arizona Railway
Ran from Flagstaff to Fulton. This was a logging line. It is now mostly abandoned although the ROW is still evident in many areas.
Coronado Railway
Ran from Clifton to the Morenci Mine dump. Narrow gauge mining railroad. Abandoned.
El Paso & Southwestern Railroad
Ran from Apache (just over the New Mexico Border) to Benson through the Vails crossover to Tucson. Later SP South Line. Benson to Douglas now SPSW (RailAmerica).
Flagstaff Lumber Company
Ran from Flagstaff South to Munds Park and Sheep Springs. Mining railroad. Abandoned.
Gila Valley, Globe & Northern
Ran from Bowie to Miami - later SP - now AZER (RailAmerica)
Greenlaw Brothers RR
Ran North and South of East Flagstaff. Logging railroad. Abandoned.
Helvetia Copper Company RR
Ran between the Copper World Mine, The Isle Royal Mine and the Helvetia Smelter. Narrow gauge. Abandoned.
Johnson Draggon and Northern Railway
Ran from Dragoon to Johnson. Later SP. Abandoned.
Magma Arizona Copper Company
Runs from San Manuel to the Mammoth Copper Mine. Currently out of service.
Magma Arizona RR
Ran from Magma to Superior. Mining RR. Currently abandoned.
Maricopa & Phoenix Railroad
Ran from Maricopa to Tempe. Later SP Phoenix Line. Then SP West Chandler Branch. Now UP to West Chandler (South end abandoned).
Mascot & Western Railroad
Ran from Wilcox to Dos Cabezas. Mining railroad. Abandoned.
Mohave & Milltown Railway
Ran from Needles, AZ to the Leland and Vivian Mines. Narrow Gauge. Abandoned.
Morenci Southern Railway
Ran from Guthrie to the Morenci copper mines. Narrow gauge. Most parts abandoned. Some are now part of the Phelps Dodge Mine Railroad.
New Mexico & Arizona
Ran from Benson through Calebasas and into Mexico. The Northern part later became SP, then San Pedro Southwestern, now RailAmerica.
A line also ran from Lordsburg, NM to Clifton, AZ. Later SP, now UP to Clifton-Morenci.
North & South RR
Ran from Congress to Congress Jct. Abandoned.
Phoenix & Eastern
Ran from Phoenix to Hayden. Became part of the ATSF. Later Eastern leg of SP Phoenix Line and Hayden Branch. Now UP Phoenix Line and Copper Basin Railway from Magma to Hayden.
Prescott & Arizona Central Railway
Ran from Seligman to Prescott. Abandoned.
Ray & Gila Valley Railroad
Ran from Hayden to the AS&R Smelter. Now CBRY.
Saginaw & Manistee Lumber Co.
Multiple lines. Ran Southeast from Apex. South from Chalender. North from Bellemont. Logging railroad. Abandoned.
Saginaw Southern
Ran South from Williams. S&ML subsidiary. Logging railroad. Abandoned.
San Manuel RR
Ran From Hayden to the smelters at San Manuel. Mining RR. Currently "mothballed."
Santa Fe, Prescott & Phoenix
Ran From Ash Fork to Phoenix. Later became the ATSF Peavine Sub. It is now the BNSF line into Mobest Yard in Phoenix.
Shannon Arizona Railway
Ran from Clifton to Shannon Jct. Narrow gauge mining railroad. Abandoned.
Southern Pacific
Mainline ran from San Simon (just over New Mexico border) to Yuma (just over California border). Old South line (originally EP&S) ran from Apache (just over the New Mexico Border) through the Vails crossover to Tucson. Nogales sub ran from Tucson to Nogales. Patagonia branch ran from Fairbank to Nogales (originally-later abandoned from Patagonia to Nogales). Clifton branch ran from the New Mexico border (technically from Lordsburg, NM) to Clifton. Globe branch ran from Bowie to Globe. Hayden Branch ran from Magma to Hayden. Phoenix Line ran from Picacho through Phoenix and on to Wellton, where it connected back up with the mainline. Phoenix to Wellton currently under abandonment petition by UP. Original alignment of eastern leg of Phoenix line ran from Maricopa to Phoenix. Later from Picacho to Olberg to Chandler to Phoenix. Current ROW bypasses Olberg cutoff and runs through Magma and Mesa to get to Phoenix. Old line is now the Chandler branch which stops at Dock. Mainline, Phoenix Line, Nogales Sub and Clifton Branch now UP.
Southwest Forest Industries
Ran from McNary Southeast. Logging railroad. Abandoned.
Standard Lumber Company
Ran from Snowflake to Standard and lumber spurs beyond. Logging railroad. Abandoned.
Tucson, Cornelia & Gila Bend
Ran from Gila Bend to the copper mines in Ajo. Currently abandoned.
Twin Buttes Railroad
Ran from Tucson to the Twin Buttes and Senator Mines. Later SP.
United Verde & Pacific Railway
Ran from Jerome Junction to Jerome. Narrow gauge. Abandoned.
United Verde Extension & Mining Co.
Ran from Clarkdale to Cottonwood. Abandoned.
Verde Tunnel and Smelter RR
Ran from Clarkdale to Jerome. Abandoned.
Yuma Valley Railroad
Ran from Yuma to Somerton. Currently abandoned.

More to come...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jimfitch
post Dec 11 2002, 07:47 PM
Post #2

Engineer

Group: Banned
Member No.: 3

Dang Tom,

Now we gotta cover all those too! When will it ever end! biggrin.gif Every Tom, Dick and Harry!

--------------------
<font size="4"><font color="orange">Rio Grande - The Action Road</font id="orange"></font id="size4">

+Quote Post
slimjim
post Dec 11 2002, 11:55 PM
Post #3

Engineer

Group: Members
Member No.: 36

Here's what I came up with:

A&P --- Atlantic & Pacific RR
A&SR -- Arizona & Swansea RR
ACCo -- Arizona Copper Co.
AERR -- Arizona Eastern RR
AEXR -- Arizona Extension RR
ANG --- Arizona Narrow Gauge RR
ANM --- Arizona & New Mexico RY
ATSF -- Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe RR
AU ---- Arizona & Utah RR
AZCC -- Arizona Commerical Copper Co.
AZCO -- Arizona & Colorado RR
AZSE -- Arizona & South Eastern RR
CAZR -- Central Arizona RY
COR --- Coronado RR
EPSW -- El Paso Southwestern RR
FLC --- Flagstaff Lumber Co.
GBX --- Greenlaw Bros.
GVGN -- Gila Valley Globe & Northern RR
M&M --- Mohave & Milltown RY
MAA --- Magma Arizona RR
MAW --- Mascot & Western RR
MSRY -- Morenci Southern RY
NMA --- New Mexico & Arizona RR
P&AC -- Prescott & Arizona Central RY
PDMX -- Phelps-Dodge Corp.
PMC --- Pima Mining Co.
R&GV -- Ray & Gila Valley RR
SARY -- Shannon Arizona RY
SCI --- Six Companys Co.
SFPP -- Santa Fe, Prescott & Phoenix RY
SFRR -- San Francisco River RR
SL ---- Standard Lumber Co.
SML --- Saginaw & Manistee Lumber Co.
SP ---- Southern Pacific RR
SS ---- Saginaw Southern RR
SWFI -- South West Forest Industries
TB ---- Twin Buttes RR
TCG --- Tucson, Cornelia & Gila Bend RR
UV&P -- United Verde & Pacific RY
UVEM -- United Verde Extension Mining Co.
VT&S -- Verde Tunnel and Smelter RR
YVRY -- Yuma Valley RR

Source:
Railroad Atlas of N.A. by Mike Walker

--------------------
Jim Harrawood

http://UtahRails.com

+Quote Post
n2qhvRMLI
post May 6 2003, 05:42 PM
Post #4

Crew Member

Member No.: 83

Tom,

We had a great time at the Canyon and Sedona last month. Got to GCRR in Williams for lunch and some sightseeing - that was about it for railfanning while on a "family" vacation! [argue]

BUT!

While staying in Tusayan, we took the helicopter ride up and around the Canyon. As we passed over Route 180 and flew above the east side of the Kaibab National Forest, I could see abandoned railroad ROWs, plenty of old ties but no rail. There were branches with areas cleared for nonexistant switches, looked like it was pretty busy at one time.

Was this a logging railroad? What was it?

de Don N2QHV

--------------------

+Quote Post
tomfassett
post May 7 2003, 09:06 AM
Post #5

Yard Master

Don, glad to see you all had a good time. I was going to try to get up there to the GCRR while you were there but didn't make it.

There are a LOT of old abandoned rights of way up there and you are correct--most are old logging lines. Most of the lines were based out of Flagstaff. There is also the old ATSF (ex Arizona Eastern) ROW that was changed in favor of the current ROW. What is left of the old alignment is the North end of the Phoenix sub (the Peavine).
I'll have to check a map to see which lines were close to SR 180 to try to figure out exactly what you saw. Of course, it would be great if you took some pictures (hint, hint...) biggrin.gif

Tom F

+Quote Post
n2qhvRMLI
post May 9 2003, 06:28 PM
Post #6

Crew Member

Don (et al), the LIRR M1 cars topic has been moved to the Passenger and Commuter forum here:

http://www.railroadforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2155

Tom F

--------------------

+Quote Post
n2qhvRMLI
post May 16 2003, 02:31 PM
Post #7

Crew Member

The answer to my question has been found and I'll share it with you!

While we were at the Grand Canyon Railroad depot in Williams, I bought a book written by Al Richmond. It gives not only the history of the Grand Canyon Railroad, it also gives a great deal of history about the surrounding areas.

The abandoned right of ways that we flew over in the helicopter were the old logging lines of the Saginaw and Manistee Lumber Company. On page 104 of his book, Al gives a very detailed map of the area. It was a surprise to turn the page and BANG! there were the myriad trails I had seen from the air!

Between 1928 and 1936 this lumber company was active in the forest east of Rt. 180. Their "mainline" crossed Rt. 180 somewhere south of the Grand Canyon Airport and ran west to their line town called "Apex" where they junctioned with the GCRR.

Neat stuff. If you haven't read the book, it's a good read. The Story of the Grand Canyon Railway by Al Richmond, ISBN 0-933269-09-9

de Don N2QHV

--------------------

+Quote Post
tomfassett
post May 16 2003, 04:06 PM
Post #8

Yard Master

Way to go, Don! [coolguy]
I can't believe I missed that one as it is on my list (above) with the "terminals" noted. Boy is my face red... [:I]
I am not familiar with the book you mentioned but it sounds like it has a decent amount of information on the railroads in the northern part of the state. I'm going to have to hunt it down. Thanks for the reference.

Tom F

+Quote Post
jaredL
post Oct 10 2003, 12:11 PM
Post #9

New Hire

Member No.: 321

Found your info through a search. I live in Flagstaff right in front of an old abondoned railway. I believe the line was the Greenlaw Bros. MEtal Detected in the area, and found narrow gauge and bigger spikes. Found numerous cartridge shells in the area dating pre-1911. Anybody have some info or links to maps of this particular railroad or any other old railraods in Flagstaff area?

Thanks,
JARED

+Quote Post
tomfassett
post Oct 10 2003, 02:11 PM
Post #10

Yard Master

Jared, welcome to the forum! [coolguy]
You found the right guys... Don and I went through this exact subject not too long ago. Depending on the specific location in question, there were a number of railroads which ran in and out of Flagstaff. The original Central Arizona Railway ran from Flagstaff down through Babbitt to Fulton in the early 1900s. Then there was the Greenlaw Brothers and Southwest Forest timber lines. There were also quite a few Atlantic & Pacific spurs run before the Santa Fe took over and ran more of their own... I haven't had the chance to do any maps specific to Northern Arizona but I do have a couple of state maps for specific eras. Here is the page where they can be found:
http://railmap.railspot.com/maps/USA/AZ/arizona.html

If you can give us a more precise location, we can probably figure out exactly which line you are asking about.

Tom F

+Quote Post
n2qhvRMLI
post Oct 10 2003, 04:16 PM
Post #11

Crew Member

jaredL

Welcome aboard. As Tom says, give us a better location for your ROW.

BTW, loved your State but loved Flagstaff even more. If I ever move to Arizona, it's Flagstaff for me, Pheonix is too hot, Sedona is too yuppie, Williams doesn't have enough trees, Flagstaff was JUST RIGHT!

de Don, N2QHV

--------------------

+Quote Post
tomfassett
post Oct 10 2003, 09:45 PM
Post #12

Yard Master

When you're from the desert like me, those tree things just scare you. Never know when a bobcat's gonna' jump on your head, and ya' can't see more than a few hundred yards. Too easy to get lost. In the desert, I can leave Phoenix for Tucson and see where I'm going to the whole way without anything blocking my view. You can't get lost when you can see landmarks that are 70 miles away. biggrin.gif Of course, my cat would love to live in the forest. Scratch posts as far as the eye can see... [irked] [biglaugh]

Tom F

+Quote Post
Marilyn
post Feb 17 2004, 05:38 PM
Post #13

New Hire

Member No.: 456

Anyone have any idea where I might find information about the Escalante Harvey House?? Harvey House website has nothing. I'd also like to know the railroad company that ran from L.A. to Albuquerque in the 1940's. My husband was en route to Boulder, CO 1943 to Naval Communications school. We found a postcard he nought at the Escalante
and mailed it from Albuquerque. We think he had to have changed trains to get to Boulder. We're retired & live near Prescott & have pictures of the historical monument that has been erected in Ashfork re the train station.
Thanks in advance for any assistance & altho I "stumbled" onto your website, I have found it intersting & will visit again.
M

+Quote Post
n2qhvRMLI
post Feb 17 2004, 08:56 PM
Post #14

Crew Member

Hello Marilyn,

Welcome to the Railroad Forum. I’m still a newbee to Southwest Railroading, Tom Fassett may be able to correct me and give more information, but I’ll make a few assumptions and toss out a few lines regarding your query.

Take a look at the following web pages:

http://digital.library.arizona.edu/harvey/.../5/welcome.html

They hold quite a few historic photographs of the “Hotel Escalante”, Fred Harvey House, Ash Fork, Arizona 1896 – 1945. We’ll assume this is the Harvey House your husband purchased his post card from, (or of). Ash Fork is on a connecting rail line running north-south from Matthie, AZ to Williams Junction.

More information could be available from the Ash Fork Public Library:

http://cip.lib.az.us/RepositoryData.asp?repoid=221

Follow that query up with a call or visit to the Ash Fork Historical Society. Although they don’t appear to have a website, the folks at the Library will probably be able to give you a phone number or address.

To the best of my knowledge and from looking at my maps and books, the L.A. to Albuquerque rail line was operated by the “Santa Fe” Railroad. Now the “Burlington Northern Santa Fe” (BNSF). The line is still active and runs all the way northeast to Chicago.

“By July 1879, the Santa Fe had reached Las Vegas, New Mexico, and entered Albuquerque nine months later. Tracks went down in Pinta, Arizona, in July 1881, and then on to Needles, California, in April 1883, thereby establishing a West Coast link by way of the Southern Pacific Railroad. History was made on May 31, 1887, when the first Santa Fe train rolled into Los Angeles on exclusively Santa Fe track”.

Quoted from page 17, the book: Fred Harvey, Creator of Western Hospitality. Written by William Patrick Armstrong c 2000

You’re right, your husband probably had to change trains in Trinidad or LaJunta, Colorado. This junction would take him north to Denver and then on to Boulder. Tom may have more historic information regarding that specific branch than I. Currently the tracks are shared by BNSF and the Union Pacific Railroad.

Here are two more paragraphs from page 25 of Mr. Armstrong’s excellent book that might be of interest:

“The company continued its growth in the 20th century. During World War II, for example, a whole new generation of Harvey fans was born in the American soldier, sailor or airman. Across America, military personnel frequented Fred Harvey barber shops, gift shops, soda fountains, cigar stands, restaurants and hotels as they moved to new training assignments.

In 1943, the middle of World War II, the Harvey Company began an advertising campaign asking for the civilian public’s patience and understanding. The needs of the servicemen – (which the Harvey company referred to collectively as “Private Pringle”) came first. Food rationing and shortage of trained personnel could mean a civilian patron might not even be served a meal – but the company promised to return to their high standard of service when “Private Pringle’s job is done.”

I hope this is helpful, good luck with your quest, and 73 to Private Pringle.

Don Fisher, N2QHV

--------------------

+Quote Post
tomfassett
post Feb 20 2004, 06:21 AM
Post #15

Yard Master

Great info Don. Can't think of anything to add. [coolguy]

Tom F

+Quote Post
Michael Lortie
post Sep 12 2004, 12:47 PM
Post #16

New Hire

Member No.: 668

I am interested in the Arizona Narrow Gauge Railroad. I live in Tucson and the railroad used to run through my property. I have been to the historical society and also have seen the Google info but was wondering if anyone had any other sources of information on it.

--------------------
Mike

+Quote Post
tomfassett
post Sep 19 2004, 05:57 PM
Post #17

Yard Master

Welcome to the forum, Michael! Being a native Tucsonian (born at the UofA Medical Center) it is always nice to see someone from the "homeland." [bigsmile]

The old ROW runs through your property? How lucky are you!
I have not been able to find much on this railroad either. I would suspect that there is info somewhere in the state archives but did not see any when I was there (other than the fact that it existed). There is a series of books on Arizona railroads but I must confess that I have not bought them. I saw one in a hobby shop in California and it was excellent. I'll have to hunt down the names of the books.

Tom F

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 11:22 AM