Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kitbashing to build other BN models of locomotives
wol
post Dec 16 2002, 11:33 AM
Post #1

New Hire

Group: Banned
Member No.: 15

I wanted to start another post on kitbashing to make different models of locomotives. This is kind of a sister post to my post of WHO MAKES THESE MODELS? in the HO forum.

These are going to be ideas and parts to build other locomotives from existing units.

For example, a GP39-2...I believe the only cosmetic difference is the one stack versus the double stacks on a GP38-2, indicating that the unit is turbocharged. (i.e. a GP39-2)

Also, if you can deal with the very small 2 foot difference in the length, and add vents under the rear radiators and the forward dynamic brake housing behind the cab of an SD70M, you can also make an SD70MAC. Athearn doesn't want to fool with it, because they would have to make a new chassis and shell with the 2 foot difference. Kato is going to beat them to it. Now all I wonder is that the trucks will come off, and you will be able to get the trucks that the BN used, rather than the BNSF on their MACs.

In my Field Guide To Diesel Locomotives they do not say there is a difference in the HTCR trucks that they stuck on the MACs, but Kato says there is a difference. Kato said that they were releasing a BNSF version of the MAC in the cream and green scheme. They said they would not release a BN version, because of the difference in the HTCR truck of each version. I dunno. I do KNOW I am picking up at least one of each...BNSF heritage2, and BNSF executive, when they are released.

All you kitbashers out there, let's here some great recipes for building non-existant models of locomotives with existing units and parts.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tankertoad70
post Dec 16 2002, 11:58 AM
Post #2

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12

I have converted an Athearn GP38-2 to a 39-2. I used the turbo/dynamic brake section from a GP40-2 and filled in the blank area with material from the dynamic brake of the GP38. Came out all right, although I do have too many tall doors, 16 versus the 12 on an actual GP39, but who's counting, not me.[;#)][spin][vhappy]

--------------------
Don in "Orygun" City
CEO, Prez, Sec, Treas, Chief Engineer/Dispatcher, Customer of the Wishram, Oregon and Western

+Quote Post
wol
post Dec 16 2002, 02:06 PM
Post #3

New Hire

Don,

I wouldn't worry about counting the doors. I was reading and looking at my books and one of my diesel guides mentions that the only differences between the GP38-2 and the GP39-2 is the double stacks on the GP38-2, versus the one on the GP39-2.

Now you mentioned the dynamic brake change. Couldn't you just cut off the forward stack and fill it in with filler, sand it, and paint it?

Any other mods you have done? I am wanting to build several SD39 units for my BNSF fleet, as well as SD38-2s and GP39-2s for my BN fleet. What I usually do is look at rosters, and whatever they have in a quantity larger than 10, I get 2 of each. I use a percentage to justify having that model in my fleet. However, if the outcome is an odd number, I change it to the next lower even number, so with 10 and under I would arrive at 2; 20 would be 2; 30 would be 2; 40 would be 4; 50 would be 4; 60 would be 6; etc.

Say for example BN had 150 GP38-2s (they actually had 152). I take that number and multiply it times 10% for my total model strength. You get 15 GP38-2s. I then change that number to the lower even number which is 14, but budgets being what they are, I usually settle for 8 units or fewer, unless I can really afford to have 14 of them. Smaller whole numbers are easier: 20=2, 30=2, 40=4, 50=4, 60=6, 70=6, 80=8, 90=8, 100=8 and then on up.

One exception to this rule is the SD40-2... I plan to have at least 16 units of this model. This was BN's workhorse (they had 838 of these) and to simulate a 5-unit coal train and still have other SD40-2 power on the layout would be hard to do without having at least 16 or more of them. Hell, I might go for 20 by the time it is all said and done. Of course, this is JUST BN, not the other 10 roads I will have.

Later.

+Quote Post
tankertoad70
post Dec 16 2002, 02:40 PM
Post #4

Wolv,
Nope, ya can't just take the turbo stack offa the GP40 and graft it to the 38. The dynamic brake bulge on the 38 is quite a bit different from the GP39, but the 39 and 40 have a very similar bulge.

You could make a respectable SD39 from an RPP SD38 shell and Athearn mechanism.cool.gif I am currently looking into that project.

I have kitbashed the good ol' ATSF 'Beep' for my Wishram Lines. To do this, I removed the long hood from an Athearn GP7, cut off the dynamic brake housing, and grafted the hood to an Athearn S12. That puppy has certainly turned some heads at the club.[?:|]

I am also in the process of grafting an Athearn SW7 hood to another S12. On this one, I cut the SW hood off right at the taper where the hood slants towards the cab. When separating the hood from the walkway, I made the cut vertical, not horizontal, at the edge of the hood. This gives the hood sufficient height to match up with what's left of the hood on the S12. Wa-la, another repower job.cool.gif

Another kitbash I performed was making an SD40 out of an Athearn SD45. For this one, I removed an SDP40 hood from its walkway and also sawed of the "P" part of the long hood. I then grafted a GP35 long hood end to the SD40. For the walkway, I removed the walkway from the SD45 shell and grafted it to the SD40 hood, then filled in the front and rear 'porches'. The powering of the puppy required a notch to be cut into the front and rear drive housings of the Athearn trucks. Cutting this notch allowed me to keep the trucks positioned int their factory position and keep all axles powered. The purpose of the notch is to clear the extended front and rear porches of the SD40. (Athearn did the SDP40 and not the SD40 for this reason. They could use the same mechanism from the SD45 for the SDP40. Pretty sly of ol' Uncle Irv)[}: )]cool.gif

I have other projects I have done and will post 'em here in the future.biggrin.gif

--------------------
Don in "Orygun" City
CEO, Prez, Sec, Treas, Chief Engineer/Dispatcher, Customer of the Wishram, Oregon and Western

+Quote Post
trainworm
post Dec 16 2002, 04:05 PM
Post #5

Conductor

Group: Members
Member No.: 26

Here are some shots of a BN SD70MAC that i had custom built for me from an athearn genesis unit.

Front

Left side

Right side

If you come up with a plan for some SD38-2's i could really use a couple in UPY paint biggrin.gif

--------------------
Southern Pacific
"paint?!? we dont need no stinkin paint!"
http://www.akpierce.20m.com (FINALLY updated!)

+Quote Post
wol
post Dec 17 2002, 06:48 AM
Post #6

New Hire

WOW!!!!!

I am just BLOWN away at that BN motive power, Alex!!!!

I notice they even have the grilles below the radiators. Is this unit longer than the SD70M, or is it the same size? I wouldnt mind sacrificing the small 2 feet length to get one of those "puppies" as Don calls them. LOL!

What about the trucks that Kato keeps mentioning? Are these HTCR trucks? If you go to their website, and lookup the MACs they are going to be releasing, they mention something about the difference in trucks for BN and BNSF models. I know that later models have the isolated cab, but I didnt see anything about having different truck types.

Thanks to you and Don for sharing the recipes for kitbashing locos. I would love to see more of them!

-Wolv

+Quote Post
trainworm
post Dec 17 2002, 07:48 AM
Post #7

Conductor

Member No.: 26

these have not been lengthened. they are the same as a regular genesis unit. I am not sure what the difference in the trucks are. I was thinking that you could get a Kato unit, add truck sideframes from a genesis unit, then remove the BNSF decals and add BN, and you would have a really good BN SD70MAC.

I got some pretty good info on the atlas forum when i posted these pics. http://forum.atlasrr.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14039

--------------------
Southern Pacific
"paint?!? we dont need no stinkin paint!"
http://www.akpierce.20m.com (FINALLY updated!)

+Quote Post
tankertoad70
post Dec 17 2002, 09:07 AM
Post #8

Anudder Kitbash:
I recently took the Athearn GP38-2, which is an early -2, and converted the puppy to a later model -2. To do this, I filed the radiator section smooth and grafted an unused/modified pair of GSB louver type radiators to the shell. I replaced the paper air filter box with a more modern slanted style, aka Canon part. The nose was the biggest challenge. The Athearn -2 nose is 7" too short to represent a late model 38-2, so I carefully sawed the front of the nose off and 'grafted' in a 7" section from a scrapped Athearn SD40-2 shell. I then reglued the removed 'nose front' back on the model. If one is carefull, no putty work needs to be done. The next step was lengtheing the front platform which is necessary with the longer nose. For this, I removed the front platform extension from an Athearn GP50 (which was modified to a GP60M) and 'grafted' the extension to the 38-2. There are other ways of doing this like using a Details West anti-climber, but I wanted a different look for this 38-2.

Ima gonna haf t' get a Digital Camera so's I can post pix of all this stuff.

I shall talk about my GP60M project later.biggrin.gif

--------------------
Don in "Orygun" City

+Quote Post
wol
post Dec 17 2002, 09:31 AM
Post #9

New Hire

Even a regular camera and take it to Wallyworld and scan the pics to a CD. That would work too, Don.

I noticed that our Super Walmart has a scanner right in the photo department. I am not sure how much it costs though. All your kitbashes would be worth seeing!!!

Any ideas on a GP28M? BN had quite a few of these-40, so as per my percentages I would like to have at least 4 of them.

Also, GP39-2, SD39 (BNSF), cabless boosters, and maybe a couple of slugs.

Alex,

Excellent information on the MACs. If the sideframes fit the Katos, that is probably what I will do too.

+Quote Post
tankertoad70
post Dec 18 2002, 09:39 AM
Post #10

Wolv,
Ima gonna do what you said as soon as the Christmas season is done! I'll need some instructions at that time about how to upload files from a disc to this here forum.[?:|]

--------------------
Don in "Orygun" City

+Quote Post
wol
post Dec 18 2002, 03:00 PM
Post #11

New Hire

No problem, Don.

If you don't mind, can you list in steps, the ways to covert to other locomotives. My main interests right now are the GP28M, the GP39-2, and the SD39.

Also, above you said you cannot just cut the stack off a GP40. Didnt you mean a GP38-2? That is what I meant. Cutting the one stack off a GP38-2 and making it a single (turbo-charged unit).

Later.

+Quote Post
tankertoad70
post Dec 19 2002, 08:56 AM
Post #12

[QUOTE=Converted Post]Originally posted by Wolv

Also, above you said you cannot just cut the stack off a GP40. Didnt you mean a GP38-2? That is what I meant. Cutting the one stack off a GP38-2 and making it a single (turbo-charged unit).

Wolv, nope ya can't just remove on stack of the GP38-2 to come up with a 39-2. The GP38 is non-turbocharged, and the exhaust stacks are totally different from the turbocharged exhaust of the 39. Another thing you will need to be rid of on the 38 is the paper air filter box just in front of the dynamics. That air filter box is not found on the 39 line.
The simplest conversion I found is to take the Athearn GP40-2 dynamic brake housing and apply it to the 39. The 40-2 housing is very close to that found on the 39, and includes the turbocharged exhaust stack.biggrin.gif

--------------------
Don in "Orygun" City

+Quote Post
wol
post Dec 19 2002, 10:08 AM
Post #13

New Hire

Works for me, Don. Thanks again!

Any thoughts on a GP28M??? SD39???

Later.

-Wolv

+Quote Post
tankertoad70
post Dec 21 2002, 10:04 AM
Post #14

Wolv,
I have yet to try a GP28 or SD39. However, I have been looking at the SD39, and I think either a Kato SD40 or RPP (if you can get one) SD38 would be a good starting point. I was planning on acquiring one of the RPP SD38 shells from my LHS and when I do, I'll let ya know what it might take to get a reasonable SD39 outa it. Such a project should not be any more difficult than when I modified the Athearn GP38-2 into a 39-2.biggrin.gif

--------------------
Don in "Orygun" City

+Quote Post
wol
post Dec 21 2002, 10:59 AM
Post #15

New Hire

Thanks Don.

I will be patiently waiting. The 28M I THINK is made from GP9s, but they also might be GP10s.

Later.

[wolvie]

+Quote Post
tankertoad70
post Dec 23 2002, 10:55 AM
Post #16

Wolv,
BN's GP28s were rebuilds from their GP9 and GP18 fleet. However, the bodies were very similar to the GP35 as there is nothing recognizable about the early geep series on those rebuilds. I have thought that will be a very interesting kitbash project. Need t' do some investigatin'.[8==()]

--------------------
Don in "Orygun" City

+Quote Post
wol
post Dec 23 2002, 05:39 PM
Post #17

New Hire

Keep me posted, Don.

I am REALLY wanting to do this, and I have some extra GP35 shells just lying around for this too. Hehehehe....

[wolvie]

+Quote Post
tankertoad70
post Dec 24 2002, 09:30 AM
Post #18

Wolv,
After 'trolling' through pix of the BN GP28s, I conclude the following:
1. The old GP frame and trucks are use.
2. The fuel and airtanks on the Geep frame have been replaced with a more modern style like that found on a 38.
3. The body appears to be that of a shortened GP38, mated to the walkway of a GP35. This could be reproduced by grafting a GP38-2 radiator section to a RPP GP35, then building the paper air filter box in front of the DB bulge.
4. There is a definite 'overhang' on the front and rear of the units due to the application of the longer GP38 style body.

The toughest part of this kitbash is the gas and air tanks. One could use the frame of an Athearn 38-2 and shorten the fuel tank lenght both front and rear, or take a GP7/9 underframe and modify the fuel and airtanks to the more modern standard.

Enclosed is a link to a pic of one of the units, and you can see the front and rear overhang on that puppy.
http://nietzsche.mit.edu/~auro/trains/phot.../GP28M/1507.HTM

--------------------
Don in "Orygun" City

+Quote Post
wol
post Dec 29 2002, 08:43 PM
Post #19

New Hire

Thanks Don. I will also keep researching this one myself. They look similar to the GP9Ms.

I have to go through the Walthers catalog and lookup the detail parts section to see what is available for parts. RPP had a lot of parts listed, but I am not sure as to their status, since the Athearn buyout.

[wolvie]

+Quote Post
Shane Stoddard
post Feb 25 2003, 10:26 PM
Post #20

New Hire

Member No.: 165

Just my two cents here. I have been reading this topic and feel the need to let the cat out of the bag. My wife and I have formed a new company called Miniature Railway Foundries.
We will be constructing the most amazing trains you have ever seen.
The first one off the line will be the SD38-2. They will be stockpainted in SP,UP,UPY, EJ&E,and BN.
The following will be stock equipment:
Operating grade controlled radiator and dynamic brake fans with their individual motors. Die cast double clasp sideframes (Pewter), with floating journals.
Photo-milled brass and stainless steel shell with all doors on the long hood functional. Operating brass knuckle couplers, operating drop steps, MUable air hoses. Reinforced Cannon and Company cabs with sliding side windows and opening doors. Illuminated gauges, head end device, and speedometer in the cab.
Digital grade and voltage controlled turbo (and it sounds like a real EMD turbo!) We are trying to add horns!
Multi level radiator grills and fan grills (stainless steel). Die cast dynamic brake section (pewter).
Engineers and two left seats swivel.
Operating gyralights, including emergency red when the train is stopped in under three seconds.
And more!
The CAD went to Indiana Micro-etch today and we should have them back in two weeks. If all goes well, we should have trains in less than a month.
Oh yah! Proto-Power West drive mechanisms.
SD39 is right behind the 38-2, then SD40 ,SD40A, SD40X
We are re-engineering the Athearn -2 Trucks to take Fexicoil sideframes so that cab interiors can be installed. (Yes we moved the center axle to center). All units will have correct axle centers, and detailed to the absolute hilt!

See ya soon--our web site will be WWW.MRFoundries.com It will be up soon.

Later

Shane

--------------------
Shane F. Stoddard

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2014 - 11:12 PM